Jeff,

I have worked with this data before (not for OSM).  The data is in the
public domain.  Your approach sounds sensible to me.  Many of the
locations are grossly wrong.  So it is important to do manual cleanup.
 By the way, license holders are liable for a fine if the coordinates
in this database are wrong.  The FCC might be very interested in OSMs
feedback!

Mike