On 7 Mar 2010, at 11:59 , Frederik Ramm wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Apollinaris Schoell wrote:
>>        Perhaps we should be working more towards worldwide consistency.
>> yes, please osm is an international project
>
> I agree that worldwide consistency is good, however it is a target that comes
> at a price, and one has to carefully think about whether it makes sense
> economically to pay this price - or if it may be more efficient to reach the
> same goals on another route!
>
> Remember that the free-form tagging we have, where anyone can do what they
> believe makes sense, is one of the pillars of OSM's success. Working towards
> worldwide consistency does not necessarily mean creating stricter rules, but
> in my experience many who talk about this topic have exactly that in mind -
> the idea is, more or less, always the same: (1) convene some kind of expert
> group to make decisions, (2) perhaps have the discussions ratified by the
> current project membership somehow, and (3) find ways to enforce them -
> voila, consistency by decree.

not that I disagree with you here but
the start of the thread contains "should", the follow up "please"
where do you read anything about strict  rules, experts, enforcement ...

> The danger behind such an approach is that it could kill the "drive" that
> many mappers have. The "let's roll up our sleeves and get something done"
> spirit could suffer if mappers feel controlled/overruled by someone somewhere
> (witness the many disgruntled Wikipedians coming to OSM and expressing relief
> about the absence of self-made relevance criteria - just because a decision
> is carried by a majority doesn't mean it is good for the project).
>
> Thus, it *may* be better to accept that people in different countries or even
> different regions tag their stuff differently, and work on a smart way to
> handle all this. More work for those using the data but at the same time less
> of a corset for those creating it.

there must be a balance, entering data must be easy but also consuming data
must be easy too. most mappers are in one or the other form consumers of the
data. If cost of consumption is too hight the osm data is useless because for
the same cost it can be created in a better form.

> SteveC wrote about this half a year ago, and already saying that he was
> "reviving an old idea":
>
> http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/dev/2009-October/017287.html
>
> As discussion progressed he was reminded of the Osmosis TagTransform plugin
> which can already do a lot of work "streamlining" an OSM data set. Surely not
> the answer to everything, but worth investigating.

I know this discussion. discussion didn't go far and for my impression  makes
direct access to the osm data more difficult.  But it could definitely make
sense as an API for osm data consuming applications.
In a certain way Josm, Potlatch are doing it already with the templates. Adding
a translation table to "hide" the raw tag names and values could be easily done.