On 8 Mar 2010, at 15:26 , Paul Johnson wrote:

> On Mon, 08 Feb 2010 14:57:15 -0800, Apollinaris Schoell wrote:
>
>> Don't think this is clear. US:I is wrong, the network is only I. Any
>> consumer application can figure out that it is in US by itself.
>
> Never mind there might be another country who has an "I" network.

but a us highway can't have an y node with lat/lon in another country.
this has been said many times here. we have boundary polygons and this is 100%
defined where a road is. in older times is_in tags have been used as a cheap
way to add such info but this is deprecated. the beauty of osm is the freeform
tagging. there is absolutely no need to pack in all info in a single tag. if
for any reason the US should be included use another tag and leave the network
just with the correct value.