On 5/12/10 10:19 AM, SteveC wrote:
> It's pretty bonkers. Anyone is welcome to join the LWG call each week or read
> the minutes, and be as involved as you like.
>
> License changes will always throw up people who don't like it, and the LWG
> has been going through peoples legitimate and illegitimate concerns for two
> years I think it's been now. We've had lawyers checking everything at every
> step of the way. So it's very frustrating for those involved after so much
> effort to finally be able to make one step towards completion, and have
> people throw stones like this.
>
> Because, after all if you do your homework CCBYSA is a total mess for OSM and
> all the LWG is trying to do is fix that mess.

yes. i haven't really been following the licensing closely, but after
the email from Chris, i went through the wiki page outlining the issues.
from where i sit (as of this past monday, working at a major corporation
that _may_ use OSM in a logistics application), this change is pretty
much necessary for OSM to achieve its goals. my new employer runs all
this stuff through their lawyers; they would probably not approve the
CCBYSA and probably would approve the new license, as it rather exactly
addresses the things that they worry about.

so i will continue to contribute to OSM and i will consent to the new
license when the time comes.

richard