On Tue, 2010-05-25 at 08:33 -0500, Lord-Castillo, Brett wrote:
> So, the real argument here is what is a bridge and what is a tunnel? Many
> people considered depressed highways to be tunnels rather than the roads over
> them to be bridges. I saw USGS topos mentioned earlier. Not all manmade cuts
> are reflected in topo lines. Manmade cuts that are structures are not
> considered bare earth and are left out. But then you get to the weird idea of
> "are the sides of the depressed highway vertical concrete or sloped ground?"
> and other such criteria.
> --Brett

What I used to distinguish a bridge from a tunnel is to ask, "Is it a
span or a pipe?"  A "pipe" puts (or leaves) the support structure around
the tunnel.  A span puts the support structure under the bridge.  There
will be some places where this becomes ambiguous, but I haven't found
any in my area.

- Val -