I don't think I have encountered a situation where an administrative boundary
at the city level of higher follows a road (i.e. if the road changes alignment,
the boundary changes alignment). Sometimes boundaries below the city level are
defined by roads, but those are not legally defined boundaries. There
occasionally are legal boundaries defined on a river, but only if the river
changes course gradually and naturally. If there is a radical (e.g. a
post-flood cutoff of an ox-bow) or man-made (e.g. a dam causes flooding that
shifts the midline), the boundary stays fixed at its original boundary.
So, while boundaries might regularly fall on right of way or centerlines of
roads and rivers, they are rarely fixed to those lines (which takes away some
of the future benefit of using a highway in an admin boundary relation).

Brett Lord-Castillo
Information Systems Designer/GIS Programmer
St. Louis County Police
Office of Emergency Management
14847 Ladue Bluffs Crossing Drive
Chesterfield, MO 63017