> This is a three minute video on, mostly, maps and addresses. Probably applies
> to boundaries too. http://sivers.org/jaddr

Interesting. Although, I don't know what it is, but TED speakers always
manage to creep me out and sound supremely sanctimonious, no matter how
enlightening their subject matter is.

Back to OSM: as a traffic engineer, I'll submit that we realign roads
all the time, to straighten curves, widen, etc., but, somehow, I don't
think the administrative boundaries are changing with them.

The OSM concept of having points as first class entities in the data
model, rather than just waypoints on polylines, makes it very tempting
(and convenient) to "glue" edges of disparate entities. On a small
scale, this is handy: that park that fills up a block or cemetery that
borders a road renders a lot better if you glue them to the surrounding
streets. But add a point to one or the other, and, depending on your
editor, it's not guaranteed to be added to both entities. Oops.

Also, you have to consider that the current OSM model of modeling only
centerlines may change one day (say, tomorrow), to, say, modeling lanes,
curbs, or edgelines. Then what...which lane is the administrative
boundary? I'd rather not go there.