According to the Key:source page on the wiki, an object can have
multiple source tags. So if you go out and survey a TIGER road and
discover that the name is incorrect you could change the name and add
a "source:name=survey" tag. I guess this allows you to distinguish the
source of specific elements of an object.

According to this I guess I should tag all the I-70 exits in western
Kansas that I recently added ref=<exit number> tags to with
"source:ref=KDOT" since I used a KDOT map (these are public domain) to
get the exit numbers.

Toby