Another thing I noticed with the GNIS data is that it doesn't seem to
distinguish between airports and helipads. There was an airport in the
middle of my city and I wondered where in the world that data came
from. Turns out the coordinates were off by a mile which didn't help
but it is actually a hospital helipad.

As for airport density, I did notice a lot of them out in western
Kansas when I was tagging exits along I-70. I'm guessing a lot of them
are pretty small airstrips for crop dusting and such. Not sure if they
should be rendered at zoom level 10 or not. I mean it's not like there
is a lot of other stuff that needs rendering at zoom level 10 in
western Kansas... :)

Toby