On Fri, Jun 18, 2010 at 12:15 AM, Zeke Farwell <ezeki...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 17, 2010 at 11:26 AM, Apollinaris Schoell <ascho...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> mentioned earlier already. the ref tag is taken by a standardization in
>> osm worldwide. sure osm is free and everyone is allowed to change things but
>> then don't expect to get any useful rendering anywhere. it doesn't matter if
>> it's technically possible. if a different tagging is needed then introduce
>> new tags or use a namespace like
>> ref:"don't like the old tag and"=7
>> don't tag for a specific renderer and more important don't tag against all
>> existing renderer
>
> Yes, the ref tag rendering on an oval is the worldwide OSM standard but this
> doesn't work very well here in the US.  In a lot of other countries the
> actual reference number (on the sign) has a letter prefix (A22, E51, M3,
> etc) this makes it very easy to tell what network the road is a part of from
> the reference number so the OSM standard works.  In the US the reference is
> simply a number, and the network is generally represented by shield shape.
>  I 89, US 7, and NY 9 are all fudged reference numbers in order to make the
> map look (somewhat) right to us americans.  The actual reference numbers are
> 89, 7, and 9.  Unfortunately here in the US you need another piece of
> information to get the whole story.
> If we stick with the current standard of a network prefix in the ref tag, we
> could utilize the nat_ref tag for just the actual reference number.  Then a
> renderer could choose to use nat_ref and network to render a great looking
> US map with proper shields and numbers, or just use the regular ref tag and
> still avoid confusion.  This would be more work/confusion for mappers but
> would offer easy options to renderers.  Alternatively ref could be just the
> number and int_ref could be network prefix and number.

You know that nat and int are short for national and international, right?

Also removing network prefixes from ref tags *on ways* doesn't work
because of overlaps. For example, Boston's Central Artery is I-93, US
1, and (state) Route 3. Without using tags like ref_2 (which, as far
as I know, nothing supports, and makes it harder to verify correct
tagging when cross-referencing with relations), the only way to store
all the information is something like "I 93;US 1;3". This isn't as bad
as it looks because signs (ideally) also show all the routes. It's
relatively simple for a renderer to parse - separate the routes at
semicolons, and then render "I *" in an Interstate shield, "US *" in a
U.S. shield, and keep anything else in the default oval.