That does seem to be the case, at least for Kansas:
http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/node/316956038

But this doesn't really help nominatim specifically or any other
application that might want to do a "is in KS" search.

I don't think I knew there WERE single nodes for states... Why are
there? It doesn't really make much sense to represent information
about such a large area in a single point on the map.