Salt Lake City street names are a bit of a mess. They are often several redundant names:
  name = South 900 East
  name_1 = 900 East
  name_2 = South 900  East (an extra space)
and sometimes:
  name_3 = 9th East

I would like to write a bot (or semi-automated plugin for JOSM) to clean up Sale Lake City Street Names so that they follow the following convention:

1) The "name" tag shall include the primary street name as signed, _without_ the directional prefix, but with the "direction" (really part of the street name and not a suffix) spelled out, for example "900 East". The street signs do not generally include the directional prefix, and the prefix is generally not considered part of the name. They are only used when forming an address.

2) A new tag "name_prefix", shall contain the directional prefix as one
of N, S, E, or W.  (I will document this tag on the wiki)

3) The "alt_name" tag shall include the full name with prefix, for example "South 900 East". This is primary to aid the name finder, I'm assuming it won't get displayed on the map.

4) The "loc_name" tag shall the #th name (ie 9th East) when the street is a multiple of 100, as that form of the name is also very commonly used.

5) The "name_1" tag shell include the other signed named for a street (for example Broadway for 300 South) when one exists.

6) The "alt_name_*" tags shall include any other names found in the "name_*" tags which I can't make sense of. These can be hand checked later.

Thoughts?

I am only going to run my bot on the streets under the salt lake city grid system, but can run it on other areas by request. In addition I will make the source code available.

Notes: I am new here, but I read over the thread "Street Naming Conventions" and wish to stay out of that debate. Several people have systemically expanded all abbreviations of street names in Salt Lake City. I am not going to change them back to the abbreviated form. I have looked at: http://vidthekid.info/misc/osm-abbr.html, and from that have some specific recommendations on handling directional prefixes and suffixes that I can go into later if desired.