I went ahead and wrote up a proposal at:

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Directional_Prefix_%26_Suffix_Indication

I also notice that some people are removing the directional prefixes _without_ storing the information in another tag. See:

So I think it is in everyone's best interest that is proposal goes through ASAP, to prevent the lose of information.