At 2010-08-03 00:24, Kevin Atkinson wrote:
One more specific question below:
On Mon, 2 Aug 2010, Alan Mintz wrote:

2. Some, however, do use the prefix on the signs and in verbal. The direction appears in front of the name in the same font:
name = "West 17th Street"
name_prefix = "W"
name_prefix_included = yes
name_root = "17th"
name_type = "St"

So what does the sign really say: "W 17th St", "West 17th St", etc?

It depends on which sign. From recollection, it is usually spelled out as West in large overhead signs, but I imagine smaller signs might abbreviate. In any case, I think your point was abbreviation here, which we've tabled (for now).

(BTW, AFAIC, feel free to edit down to the relevant portion of the post - it's too easy to miss small comments within large postings like these, even with proper indenting)

--
Alan Mintz <alan_mintz+...@earthlink.net>