On Thu, Aug 12, 2010 at 7:23 AM, Nakor <nakor....@gmail.com> wrote:

> Most of my contributions even though based on my GPS tracks are derived
> work of some US governement data (USGS and NAIP imageries) and in a lesser
> extent Ohio through OSIP. I also imported some NHS, NPS and TIGER datasets.
> I truly do not want all that work to be lost and I trust the LWG when they
> say that ODBL is going to be more protective than CC-BY-SA for the project.
>
> My only issue is the first paragraph of the Contributor Terms. I do not
> have **explicit** permission from the various US government entities and do
> not feel comfortable accepting those terms.

US government data  is public domain. you can do whatever you like to do
with it. All big ones from Garmin, Google ... you name it use this data.
there is absolute no need to get explicit  permission for individuals. It is
the law and what can be more explicit than that. As an example county of
Santa Clara even lost the law suit a couple of years ago when they tried to
protect and sell their data for more than redistribution costs.