First, what's the US standard for incorporated places? Should the
actual form of government (town/city/etc) be used?

More importantly, how are unincorporated places handled?

With respect to boundaries, census-designated places are not really
suited for our use. Sometimes it's easy to define a boundary based on
various historical or current factors such as subdivision plats or
land use, but often this can't really be done and the only thing that
makes sense is a single node. When there is a boundary, should it have
boundary=administrative? (Probably not, since it's not an
administrative boundary, but what if it's a well-defined planning
area?)

What place=* values should be used for unincorporated places? In some
states villages are incorporated; do we skip this value? Do we use
suburb at all, or is everything village or hamlet?