(copied to the talk-us list)
On Wed, Sep 15, 2010 at 3:40 PM, Antony Pegg <anttheli...@gmail.com> wrote:
> ok I can't figure this out and its driving me crazy!
>
> please look at this map:
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=40.024&lon=-76.242&zoom=9&layers=M
>

> In the middle of it you will see "West Lampeter"
>
> if you zoom in to ZL 10, you will see "Lancaster" finally show up as a
> label.
>
> If you zoom back out to 9 again, you will also see
>
> a) Harrisburg, Reading, Allentown
>  - These are cities, physically larger than Lancaster.  Lancaster City is
> the center of Lancaster County in the State of Pennsylvania
>
> b) around Lancaster you will see:
> West Lampeter - a township - basically just a municipality - its not
> somethign you'd really expect to show up until around zoom level 13
>
> Manheim - a town above the City of Lancaster (mentioned as a reference for
> Lititz)
>
> Warwick - This is also a township.  The town itself is called Lititz.
> Lititz doesnt show up until zoom level 13:
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=40.1429&lon=-76.3337&zoom=13&layers=M
>

> I found the Lancaster node, changed it from Town to City, which made it show
> up at least at zoom level 10.  I found the West Lampeter node - it seems
> correctly tagged according the admin_level & place pages for US.  I found
> the Lancaster City Way/Area, and it also seems tagged correctly (except for
> all the TIGER tags on it, but I wont delete them until I know I've actually
> fixed at least THIS issue)

Mapnik doesn't render the areas properly, so they're not part of the
problem here: http://trac.openstreetmap.org/ticket/3226

> 1. What do I need to do to make Lancaster show up at the same level as
> Harrisburg and Reading?
wait until it re-renders
> 2. What do I do to make Lititz show up at the same level as Manheim?
place=borough (and if necessary file a trac ticket to render boroughs
as somewhere between towns and cities)
> 3. What do I do to downgrade West Lampeter and Warwick to an appropriate
> level?
place=township

The GNIS import of place names used a population-based classification
(http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:place), but they also have a
population=* value, so this is redundant and doesn't reflect reality.
Look at Florida for an example of incorporated places tagged with
their actual forms of government.