On Fri, Oct 29, 2010 at 3:11 PM, Ian Dees <ian.d...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 29, 2010 at 1:51 PM, Nathan Edgars II <nerou...@gmail.com>
> wrote:

>> > Nathan,
>> >
>> > So, your problem is not the size of the shields but the route-type
>> > specific shields themselves?
>>
>> It was never the size, but the way the specific shields cram more into
>> the same area.
>
> This happens because all of the renderers currently use ways to determine
> where to place shields. When we switch over to using route relations (and
> the geometry is very long) Mapnik can be much smarter about where and how
> often to place shields.

I'm not talking about shield placement. I mean that the specific
shield designs themselves are often cluttered. In certain states that
have multiple systems (Virginia, West Virginia, Tennessee) it may make
sense to use a simplified version of the shields (although all of
these but Tennessee's primary are already as simple as possible), but
there's no reason except prettiness to prefer the Colorado shield over
a simpler rectangle.