On Thu, Nov 4, 2010 at 4:22 PM, Nathan Edgars II <nerou...@gmail.com> wrote:

> If there's a specific intersection or stretch of road that's hazardous
> to a law-abiding cyclist, consider cycle_hazard=* (like
> cycle_hazard=door zone or cycle_hazard=bike lane to right of right
> turn lane).
>
> On Thu, Nov 4, 2010 at 3:37 PM, Dale Puch <dale.p...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > As with many OSM tags, there are objective items to begin the
> > categorization.  The final decision though will be at least partly
> > subjective.   Class:bicycle is a good start.  Perhaps list specific
> features
> > as a base for the ranking, then things that would drop that to lower
> > rankings.
> >
> > An example of what I mean for starting values.
> >
> > separate paved bike/general path = +3
> > road with bike lane = +2
> > road with bike route= +1
> > road with a good shoulder / bike friendly sidewalk = 0
>
> We shouldn't take sides in the debate over bike facilities. In places
> where use of a bike lane is mandatory, a street without one can be
> safer than one with, since a cyclist on the former is able to cycle
> defensively. (A sidepath is even worse - since it's not part of the
> actual road, a safe cyclist has to yield to turning traffic at every
> intersection and driveway.)
>
> We already tag most of the above, and a router can create its own
> values based on whether the user wants to ride in the gutter or in the
> general purpose lane. shoulder=paved seems like an obvious tag for
> that purpose, and I'm not sure what you mean by a 'bike friendly
> sidewalk'.

Nothing specific, but probably something wider than a regular sidewalk with
curb ramps but not a dedicated bike/exercise trail.  I was just looking for
things to flesh out the example, and did not mean them as a very serious
place to start for safety/quality ranking.  As this shows, good
descriptions, and pictures would be important to get reasonably consistent
results from differing users.

--
Dale Puch