We try to maintain zip code boundaries using existing parcel boundaries and a
list of known addresses that we get from the postal service every quarter. Zip
codes do change significantly on a quarterly basis though, depending on new
addresses, retired addresses, vacant addresses, PO box demand, and delivery
demand. To add to this, zip codes are clearly not contiguous with themselves.
They very definitely skip around, sometimes even skipping around among
addresses within a parcel (and even more so when you get into the ZIP+4, which
is what you need to assign specific community names). Even with full time
people working on it, it is a nightmare that we only really do every couple of
years for ~500 sq mi.
It is possible, but certainly not easy.

Brett Lord-Castillo
Information Systems Designer/GIS Programmer
St. Louis County Police
Office of Emergency Management
14847 Ladue Bluffs Crossing Drive
Chesterfield, MO 63017