On Sat, Jan 1, 2011 at 1:15 PM, Richard Welty <rwe...@averillpark.net> wrote:
> can someone point me at examples of well formed County Boundary
> relations in the US?  a quick search didn't show anything in the wiki,
> and the boundaries in my part of NY are basically a bunch of
> labeled ways with some missing. i'd kind of like to clean it all up.

Try Florida. Someone imported TIGER boundaries a few months ago
(replacing the horrible USGS data) and I helped with the finishing
touches, including using river ways where the boundary is legally
defined as such. Also in some places I've added the PLSS section
corners based on the official "certified corner records":
http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/way/81370641 Since the county line
follows the section line, this is the exact official boundary.

> also, for shared boundaries of this type, should we be doing the
> usual thing and consolidating ways and depending on the relation,
> or will doing that break things?

Seems fine here.