The problem I see with using protected_area right now (since it's not an
accepted/rendered tag), is that an object can't have two values for they key
"boundary". National forest objects can be huge mulitpolygons (e.g.
http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/relation/1273907 ), having a
boundary=protected_area version would mean duplicating the relation and that
seems sloppy to me. I'm also not sure that National Forests & National
Recreation Areas would qualify under protected_area because it seems focused on
the IUCN nature reserve classifications, and National Forests & National
Recreation Areas can be leased out for commercial/industrial use.

My goal is to be able to render a US-centric map of outdoor recreation type
objects without messing with the "global view" OSM provides, which I why I
wanted boundary=national_park to remain the main tag for these objects.

I think that an additional key is the right plan, but I wanted to get a bit of
consensus before I started tagging a bunch of things with it.

Possible keys:
national_park=national_forest
# This was my first inclination, but now I'm thinking it doesn't offer enough
depth, on the other hand it's simple

or

national_park=forest
ownership=federal
# MassGIS added an ownership tag to designate it's state forests, and pairs it
with landuse=forest. I don't think a landuse tag is appropriate to designate
national forests though, because there's nothing about a national forest that
requires it to contain trees, and vast swaths of them don't.

or

national_park=forest
admin_level=2
# There are already a bunch of state parks tagged as admin_level=2, but should
the admin_level tag be used outside or boundary=administrative?

or

public_land=national_forest
# There are a lot of open to the public BLM lands that don't seem like they
belong under the national park category. Does public land deserve it's own key?