True, it is straightforward to get the tiles, and the specification is
open [1]. The trouble lies with reprojecting the tiles, or informing
the editor of the projection. Easiest way may be to write an extension
to MapProxy/TileCache/etc so we can just use plain old TMS or WMS.
Hopefully VGIN will directly offer this kind of service at some point.
-Josh

[1]: http://resources.esri.com/help/9.3/arcgisserver/apis/rest/index.html