In the US, addresses are typically assigned by local (sometimes state)
governments and NOT by the USPS. The USPS is agnostic with respect to the
actual house number, as long as it is correctly encoded in their Delivery
Sequence Files (the DSF, which tells the postal worker where the delivery
point is). To my knowledge the DSF is not available as a public domain data
set; back in the '90's, the US Census Bureau had to get Congressional
permission to use it for creating the Master Address File (MAF).

Also, in most municipal street numbering and addressing schemes it is quite
common to assign addresses that increment by 4 (200, 204, 208, and so on).
In some areas,-particularly rural/exurban areas, addresses are assigned
based on the distance between the previous address so that you could
conceivably have house numbers 200, and 998 on the same 'block' (between
road intersections).

Hope this helps,
--SEJ

[t: @geomantic s: sejohnson8]

"A serious and good philosophical work could be written consisting entirely
of jokes." -Ludwig Wittgenstein