This is the view I subscribe to too. An example of two ways I would want to
join would be http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/way/68711710 and
These differ only in nhd:com_id and they're both really short ways.

In any case, I'd like to make it clear that there are two separate parts.
The retagging of the ways, and the joining of them. The first one is a
serious issue, visible out to z8 in the rendering and hopefully
uncontroversial to change. The second one is a less important issue that it
seems more debate is required on.

For the retagging, I've done up a table at
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/User:Pnorman/NHDCleanup which explains
the changes I'm proposing. I should of thought of a table earlier

Also, I need to empathize that any data edited by users since the imports
won't be touched without manual review.