At 2011-03-28 09:13, Mike N wrote:
... A different way to ask the question is does it make sense to render the exit_to at any time? The most likely use of the information is by navigation utilities - where the actual map rendering will be much more sparse to limit information to only that which is needed for driving. And exit_to information might be displayed separately and/or spoken.

The counterpoint to having exit_to being rendered is that most people are only interested in exit numbers when reading a visualized map. In congested areas, the rendered exit_to information is extremely overbearing and distracting compared to the surrounding roads. In such cases, the compact ref= and name= (for named exits) results in a much cleaner map.

In southern California, in my experience, people do not use exit numbers when giving directions - they use what we would call the name of the exit, which is usually the name of the street on which the offramp terminates*. One reason is that exit numbering was an afterthought - in process since the 80s I think - and is still not complete. Another is that, for people that have traveled the area extensively, the name of the exit gives one a far better mental picture of where an exit is than the postmile-related exit number.

*But not always, particularly along the I-10 in older/denser parts of LA county, where the ramp often terminates on a parallel side street or frontage road, and one turns right or left to reach the road perpendicular to the freeway, for which the exit is named.

--
Alan Mintz <alan_mintz+...@earthlink.net>