Hi Richard,

I *think* the short answer is that you don't have to include the address point node/way into the interpolated way

I dont know whether or not its the "correct" way of doing things, but I know what works with Nominatim

Address points trump interpolation every time

if you have an interpolation from 101-199 MadeUp street, and add the building poly with addr:housenumber=151 and addr:street=MadeUp Street etc etc on it, when you search in nominatim for 151 MadeUp street, it will locate the building polygon.

Heres an example:
http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=45.315367&lon=-75.893311&zoom=18&layers=M

search for: 260 Hearst Way
to get one end of the line (it has a point, because the point is the end of the 222-260)

search for: 240 Hearst Way
to get the interpolated middle of the line

search for: 222 Hearst Way
to get two POINT results
 - first the point marking the end of the interpolated line
 - secondly the actual address point added on the building polygon

Unfortunately I dont have an example where the building is in the middle of the interpolation way

HTH
Ant