On Fri, Jun 3, 2011 at 9:37 PM, Richard Welty <rwe...@averillpark.net> wrote:
>> emergency vehicles
>> shouldn't be overriding this, usually these bridges really and truly
>> are not usable.
>Drivers of emergency vehicles shouldn't be using OSM for routing
>purposes.  And people who don't know the area where they are driving
>shouldn't be driving emergency vehicles.  Certainly not people who
>don't even know what bridges are safe to drive on!
>
>I don't know how it in other jurisdictions, but no one was allowed to
>drive the ambulance or fire truck where I volunteered until they
>filled out a blank map with all the street names.

In our jurisdiction, we have 370,000 roads and 800+ bridges. We basically use a
whole bunch of radio dispatchers looking at live edited maps for routing. Just
building a routing network has been a massive undertaking (and, unfortunately,
OSM is nowhere close to sufficient in our area right now).

Brett Lord-Castillo
Information Systems Designer/GIS Programmer
St. Louis County Police
Office of Emergency Management
14847 Ladue Bluffs Crossing Drive
Chesterfield, MO 63017