On 6/29/2011 4:50 PM, Richard Weait wrote:
On Wed, Jun 29, 2011 at 1:44 PM, Nathan Edgars II<nerou...@gmail.com>  wrote:
I've started using forward/backward roles rather than north/south/east/west
on relations for state highways, due to JOSM's relation editor supporting
sorting by them and Nakor's tool

Nakor's tool for ... ?  Link?

Formerly at http://toolserver.org/~nakor/relation.fcgi?relation= , and used to update http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/User:Nakor/Interstate_relations_check and http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/User:Nakor/US_relations_check .

How much uproar would there be if I started changing to forward/backward
roles in conjunction with checking for completeness? Is there any benefit to
the slightly increased amount of information provided by the directional
roles? Are there any other solutions? It appears from
http://josm.openstreetmap.de/ticket/5109 that the JOSM devs are not
interested in supporting directional roles.

I'd expect that we need a much stronger argument in favour of removing
the additional information provided by the directional roles.  It is
dead simple to reverse the direction of a way and break your proposed
forward-role, while directional roles would be fine.

JOSM automatically changes forward to reverse if you reverse a way, and if Potlatch doesn't it would be simple to have it do so.