On 9/8/2011 6:19 PM, PJ Houser wrote:
In Portland, Oregon, we have been tagging certain ways with access
restrictions as access=no and then explicit exceptions, like psv=yes,
foot=yes, bicycle=yes.

In the wiki, for the access key, it states "Use the *access*=* key to
describe a general access restriction that applies to all transport
modes.Where different restrictions apply to different modes of transport
then mode specific tags can be used."

Here's an example of our work

Is this an appropriate use of access=no or does access=no imply all
transport modes are not allowed? We have been using access=no with
specific mode exceptions as *=yes because it reduces the number of tags
needed. What does everyone else think?

In this case, I'd say it's fine. Personally I'd use access=private (since supervisors etc. are presumably allowed to drive their cars there) and bus=yes (since psv includes taxis). I don't think it's correct to give these ways a name.

On the other hand, I wouldn't expect to see a cycleway tagged access=no bicycle=yes.