I noticed the Arkansas import[1] in Bentonville as I was driving
through. When I went back and added a few things along the way it
seemed to be of pretty good quality although I didn't look at it too
closely.

As wary as I am of imports, I do think addresses are one of the things
that CAN actually be imported successfully as long as the source data
is of high enough quality. Since it is just nodes, there is much less
of a technical hurdle to importing them, unlike NHD or building
outlines where imports can fail in the middle and leave junk on the
map.

It is also data that is time consuming and, for a lot of people,
boring to collect and enter. If you're mapping a shop or restaurant
that you are visiting it's one thing to add in a couple of addr:* tags
but to get truly good coverage including residential areas is much,
much harder.

[1] http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Arkansas_Situs_Address_Points_Import

Toby