On Wed, Nov 2, 2011 at 6:44 PM, Ian Dees <ian.d...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I think it's reasonable to take a small bite out of that huge task by using
> data that was previously "crowdsourced" (via taxpayer money) and ask as many
> members of the current OSM community in the US to manually add the data and
> verify it. I don't think that's an "import" in the sense of CanVec or TIGER
> or NHD or coastlines. I think that's a computer-assisted manual edit.

I agree.  Actually, I'd say it's not an import at all.

I'm opposed to imports of address data.  But I'm not at all opposed to
"computer-assisted manual edits".

On the other hand, I don't think you're going to get very far with
computer-assisted manual edits.  As you said, "even after we celebrate
our 10,000th US-based active editor we'd still have to convince every
single one of them to go survey 17,000 addresses".

But hey, prove me wrong :).