On 1/22/2012 4:06 PM, Bryce2 Nesbitt wrote:
And here is where the rusty old TIGER data still has something to offer
OSM: address data.
A very common map use case is "show me a map around this address".
  Bringing in that data from TIGER might not bring any more /mappers/,
but it could bring a lot of /viewers/.

TIGER's address ranges are obfuscated by law for privacy reasons. The typical resolution is only to within the nearest block. Anyone who needs to geolocate an address is still free to fall back to the TIGER address ranges using a secondary data source if the address is not in OSM's database. I believe this is already how Nominatim or one of its sources works.

Another advantage of keeping the TIGER address ranges in a secondary database is that the information can be easily updated by replacing with new data rather than needing to conflate with existing OSM data.