(Meant to send this to the list. Thanks for Martijn for bringing it to my
attention. -sej)

+1 I think it's a great idea, from the standpoint that it could be mutually
beneficial to OSM and to USDOT's National Bridge Inventory. In the past,
there are some data quality issues with the NBI and resources to maintain
the data have always been scarce. For USDOT to benefit from OSM efforts,
the data have to be useful to them. In that case, it would be good to start
with the specification to understand what tags/attributes they're would be
looking for.

Martijn points out that there are some specialized attributes that wouldn't
be available to the layperson, in which case I don't think there's much the
community can do about those. However, I think the community can update
those things that can be verified by observation (length, construction
type, matl, etc). I also think that USDOT probably has only a subset of
bridges (say, those in the US highway system) and probably lacks a number
of state- and locally-maintained bridges. If that's the case, the OSM
community can contribute from the standpoint of completeness and currency.

-- SEJ
-- twitter: @geomantic
-- skype: sejohnson8

"Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen." --
Einstein