On 3/26/2012 10:52 AM, Richard Weait wrote:
What incentive would it take to push you over the edge to make you
actually do it?

I tend to be a hands-on person, and ultimately the motivation would be that there is an immensely useful data consumer. It doesn't help that the first project I worked on in OSM (a rails-to-trail fitness trail) just got a map applet commissioned for it. You'd think they'd have used OSM data? No, they sent out their own team to survey all the drinking fountains, ATMs, restaurants, and POIs along the trail, put them into their own app and released that separately.

Even the premiere OSM Nav app (Skobbler's Nav2) doesn't yet use OSM address data in the US because there just isn't enough of it. And for cases where I've entered OSM address data for popular destinations, they haven't yet begun to use OSM address data.

Now with a bunch of South Carolina's capitol city losing most of the roads and local knowledge due to the license change, an opportunity would be to advertise the situation: "Fill in the missing roads around our city" and start some meetups that way. It's a bit far for me to travel for six meetings though.