If there is a point and an area I keep the area and delete the point.  If
the point has data I'd like to keep, as is often the case when I trace a
park on the map and want to use the name and other info from a GNIS point I
simply copy the attributes over.  To easily copy the attributes over in
JOSM I select the point, control+c to copy, select the way, and then
control+shift+v copies in the attributes.  I think I used to do this in
Potlatch but that might have been the old one.

If you don't feel like doing that and the area features are already drawn
and already have names and type attributes, feel free to just delete the
GNIS point.  Other than elevation there usually isn't anything else that is
particularly interesting in there.

Cheers,
Greg