Some of the problem my be a disconnect between county level mapping/import
talk and the country level talk.  I personally like imports that are done
well, but also understand how poor imports can make things harder for
everyone.  It looks like you guys have done a lot of work and many
improvements, and this is meant in a constructive light.  I do not want to
discourage anyone, just get anyone making imports to measure three or four
times before cutting ;)

I see two entries on
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Import/Cataloguefor California
(that link to the California imports) but several more on
the http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/California/Import page.  Then even
more on http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Santa_Cruz_County,_Californiabut
no links to that from either.  How much feedback did you get from
other
importers or mappers outside your local group?

One way to put it is how many people outside of the ones specifically
brought into the discussion commented on the imports, or even realized they
were happening?

Would better planning and feedback have meant the import was uploaded and
DID NOT need lots of fix-up?  It is a lot easier to play with the data
before uploading than it is after it is in the OSM database.

Dale