The problem seems to be that mappers needed a tag for a small roundabout on a node. Since all that was available was mini_roundabout, that's what we used. Had there been another tag, e.g. highway=roundabout, we wouldn't have this discussion. But mini_roundabout is now in use for a large number of miniature roundabouts that may not be strictly mini-roundabouts.

There's been a similar case recently with surface=cobblestone apparently not being "real" cobblestone but something called 'sett'. Someone tried to change the tag definitions, but it was way too late.