There seems to be something wrong in my profile, that's for sure.  I just
renamed the folder for JOSM in "C:\Users\<user name>\AppData\Roaming" to JOSM1
so that JOSM would create a new one and then started a new instance of JOSM and
downloaded some OSM data.  Then I loaded Bing in the background and the new
imagery loaded!  Yet with my "default" profile, it still only loading the "old"
imagery even with a clean image catch with nothing downloaded. Crazy.....
--James