On 07/20/2012 11:22 PM, Mike Thompson wrote:
- Focused effort to gather public domain trail data and use it to
update existing trail data in OSM through hybrid editing \ bulk upload
methodology.
Just and idea for the community's consideration: as an avid trail user
and mapper, the one type of bulk upload that would interest me would
be the balance of the NHD data.  It appears that this has not been
completed.  I am too busy hiking trails gathering GPS traces to do
this myself, and I am not sure I want to venture into "bulk upload
land."

I got started on this, too, and got a fair way along (in a personal
mirror) on doing New York south of the Mohawk. I stumbled when I asked
a few people that I'd met here to review the work. There were a couple
who had a problem that the imported data (obviously) crossed ways with
the highway network; they were at best reluctant to accept the import
until and unless the individual crossings were tagged appropriately
as bridges, culverts, fords or whatever, with an appropriate rendering
layer assigned.

Having no way to get that information short of driving to each
individual stream crossing, I put the project on hold, and simply use
NHD as one of the layers that I render in my personal map. TopOSM
takes the same approach. Lars and I simply discard OSM hydrographic
features in favour of NHD ones.

I think I want to follow up on this issue, because I'd still like
OSM to have the data.  I'll continue in a separate thread, rather
than hijacking this one.

--
73 de ke9tv/2, Kevin