On Mon, Jul 23, 2012 at 1:04 PM, Martijn van Exel <m...@rtijn.org> wrote:
> How did it go?

It went well. Our meetup was all veterans (I'm sure that the late
notice didn't help).

We talked about damage from the license change (the areas that we all
map in were fairly unaffected by the license change).

We about our own particular interests; none of us took notes (it was
more of an informal gathering) so I will let other attendees
elaborate.

The thread about the trails project was mentioned in response to a
discussion about mapping local trails.

We discussed the use of the name=* vs official_name=* tags for local
rail infrastructure; our consensus was that official CSX names for
rail infrastructure should be moved to the official_name=* tag and
that the name of the operator should be used in the name=* tag if any
name=* is used at all. This was in reference to various "Beltline"
rails named as such in the name=* tag despite the confusion that is
generated by the appearance of "Beltline" on the map. (There is a
"Beltline" project prominent in local news which is a
transit/trail/real estate project; locals assume that "Beltline" on
map refers to that massive project and not to existing rail
infrastructure). We agreed that this is NOT tagging/mapping for the
renderer; since any renderer can choose how to render official_name=*,
we are designating the locally preferred method of naming ways which
depict rail in such a way that is still consistent with OSM-wide
conventions.

After meals and brewskies, we visited a local piece of transit history
which has never been utilized and which is not yet mapped.

Bill R. WASHBURN