Hi,

On Thu, Jul 26, 2012 at 6:55 AM, Richard Weait <rich...@weait.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 26, 2012 at 8:21 AM, Katie Filbert <filbe...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> To sell, I fear the GPSes make it cost prohibitive.
>>>
>>> To lend, I suspect the GPSes make it hard to seed.
>>>
>>> But hey I'd love to be proven wrong.
>>
>> If we were to have regular mapping parties in the DC region (or NY), I'm
>> sure that Wikimedia DC (or NYC) could fund a kit for the Mapping DC folks.
>>
>> I'm not sure about sending them across the country to lend out.  We could
>> lend out within our region and maybe somewhat beyond.

Yes, that's probably more feasible. For me, I feel it would be easier
(I'm not saying 'easy') to get funding to buy some GPSes for regional
events. Either by solliciting small donations from individuals or in
the form of a regional sponsorship.

> What is preventing us from having more DC or NY mapping parties?  Is
> it the lack of a mapping kit?  I don't recall many people saying that
> they would organize and host a mapping party, if only they had a
> MPKit.
>
> I suggest, rather, that it is a lack of "round tuits".  The lack of a
> kit makes it easier to say, "Well, if we had a kit, NewPerson in
> SomeTown could host a Mapping Party."  Having a MPKit makes the
> mapping party "somebody else's problem". When the alternative might be
> to say, "Now _I'm_ going to host a Mapping Party in MyTown."

I don't think the lack of a Kit makes people not take responsibility
to host a party, or use it as an argument for why there aren't more
mapping parties. I think we all know it's about people. I believe a
Kit - or anything that provides the feeling of being backed by
OpenStreetMap as an organization - may help someone take the step and
organize something.

[..]
> There are alternatives.  Mappy Hours and talks are two alternatives.
>
> I'm down on Mapping Parties.  Part of this is because of my
> phenomenally bad relationship with the weather during my Mapping
> Parties.  :-)  That doesn't mean that you have to be down on Mapping
> Parties, of course.  I like having a goal of "acquire new mappers who
> continue to contribute", rather than, "map this area, today."  I find
> that I feel more successful at that goal by hosting Mappy Hours and
> doing "Intro to OSM" talks for groups.  And I find those events less
> of a burden to organize, and much less weather dependent.  It means
> that I do have to drop the goal of, "map this area, today."  You may
> find that goal too attractive to abandon.

Some people are more attracted (or less intimidated) by a mapping
event - going out and doing something - than by attending a session.
Some people prefer going to a bar or cafe to hang out and meet folks,
and learn about the project that way. For me, it's different ways of
achieving the same thing. The goal of a MP for me is not solely, or
even primarily, to get a lot of mapping done. I want to introduce
people to OSM, and get to know local mappers who are already active.
Last weekend, I had 4 'regulars' and 2 'newbies', and we accomplished
both goals. The numbers are small but both newcomers were really
excited.

So, agreed! Everyone should organize local events the way they feel is
the most fun and effective way to spend the time and energy. I will
probably continue to do a mix of things.

> We've dragged this thread a long way from flyers.  Sorry.  I think
> flyers are cool.  And thanks, tons, to Serge for providing me with
> some from his trip to London.  I'm still handing them out. :-)

Yea, I'll call SteveC and see what he's got. If it turns out his kid
has eaten them all, I will have a bunch printed. Does anyone have time
& skills to update the 2010 design based on Toby's comments?

Keep mapping!
--
martijn van exel
http://oegeo.wordpress.com