David,

        I agree with much of what you said.
However, I'm not sure why the size of a state should make a difference in what abbreviation is used. Large or small, shouldn't the state abbreviation be consistent? Also, in the "B" section, where you suggest US 1 plus US 9 could be abbreviated as US 1-9, I think that could be misleading. It is common to use a hyphen between numbers, such as 1-9, to signify 1 through 9. That's not what you meant. And the use of a slash would seem OK if the prefix always is there, the "I" or whatever state prefix applies. For example I 70/I 71 or I 95/MA 128. Otherwise, I think, there is potential for confusion. At any rate, I hope we can come to some kind of agreement on what to do about overlapping routes. Now we use semicolons to separate overlaping routes, but Potlatch 2 always flags those as incorrect. I "corrected" a bunch of those before someone told me that it's just a problem in Potlatch 2. So, it would be great if there were some clarity on that. Anyone? And, bring back the hyphen in interstate highway refs! Here's to I-10, which really does need a hyphen. So from now on I'll use state abbreviations and do relations, relations, relations.

Charlotte