On 10/25/12 9:14 PM, Mike N wrote:
On 10/25/2012 12:34 PM, Martijn van Exel wrote:
  We're
talking about promoting a US project like fixing TIGER deserts / Ghost
towns[1] for the next NOTLM (date to be set). Good idea?

I would say that this is a good idea. If a curious person (non-OSM contributor) were to look at a garbled set of TIGER streets, they might not even start with basic contributions such as verifying the streets where they live and work, or adding POI. Learning how to correct those TIGER streets would be a huge obstacle.

So my input would be to find not only TIGER deserts, but those which appear to have been created from GPSs carried before the GPS signals were unscrambled. Generally, these were entire counties. Some of the TIGER datasets have been updated to current technology standards. Detecting this could be by comparing the alignment of unedited OSM to latest TIGER.

Otherwise, I'm not sure how to tell if a TIGER desert was good to begin with, or just never touched as well as being far out of alignment.
i don't think that any TIGER desert is really trustworthy. i've done TIGER review of much of the Capital District of New York, and while street alignment is usually tolerable, there's a persistent error rate, mostly things
that are only really detectable by a ground survey.

however, there are vast areas (like most if not all of WV) where the alignment of TIGER 2005 is really awful, and TIGER 2011/2012 is a significant improvement. since the latter is available as an image layer which i know works with JOSM and i understand works with Potlatch, it's pretty reasonable to load up a spot in the desert and compare unedited data with 2011/2012 and realign. just don't remove
the reviewed tag, that shouldn't be done without a ground survey.

richard