On Mon, Oct 29, 2012 at 2:43 PM, Ivan Komarov <jkoma...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 29, 2012 at 3:33 PM, Frederik Ramm <frede...@remote.org> wrote:
>> If one road ends near another road, that might actually be for a reason, and
>> what looks like a shadow on the aerial image is in fact a fence - or the
>> aerial image is outdated...
>
> That's true. But in the US disconnected roads are produced by buggy
> TIGER import in 99% cases, so they definitely need fixing. On the
> other hand I have to admit that attentiveness required, as once I
> screwed Chicago downtown not paying enough attention to road levels.
> But in countryside these remote fixes are rather safe, I guess.

That is right. I forgot to mention that maybe 70% of the connectivity
errors (wild guess) is the result of TIGER being county-based, leading
to 1) lots of connectivity errors at county boundaries, and 2) wildly
varying quality between counties, even within states some say (I
haven't really looked into that in any detail.)
--
martijn van exel
http://oegeo.wordpress.com