Am 09.11.2012 05:09, schrieb Richard Weait:
On Tue, Nov 6, 2012 at 4:59 AM, Matthias Meißer <dig...@arcor.de> wrote:
Hi,
as I don't read any discussions about where and what to map, I would like to
bring up this essential question again.

Just a few possible ideas (that can be also mixed):
- adding new details (as buildings, landuse, ...)
- fixing TIGER (alignment, classification, ...)
- focus on the coast areas only (big cities)
- focus on the countryside (where no one has been before)
- focus on n states (and making there a huge step)

Is there any way to tie this event into growing the local community or
assisting a local community that _wants_ some distant armchair
support?  How about:

- call a friend in Distant Town and have them agree to survey Main
Street after you fix TIGER and add the buildings from imagery.
- have a local user request assistance for Adjacent County TIGER
fixup, in exchange for surveying names for new subdivisions in
Adjacent County
- have new mappers request a mapping coach to join them online allow
the new mapper to learn with an interested coach helping out on voice,
IRC, email, whatever...

Just doing armchair mapping has the chance to create a positive
result, but using the armchair mapping event to grow local communities
where they don't yet exist would be a greater good.

Sounds really good to me, but I have no idea how to organise this. I bet it will be easier, if US folks join the IRC and add a prefix as "US" to their nickname, so it will be easy to ask US specific questions.

bye,
Matthias