In Texas, every business route has a unique letter attached to it. In this
image from TxDOT, there are a few examples:
http://onlinemanuals.txdot.gov/txdotmanuals/fsh/images/Figure%204-2.gif

These are what show on the vast majority of highway signs. They are useful
for navigation, and and official designation used by TxDOT for identifying
which city a business route runs through.

A while back, I took the liberty of adding these letters to the ref=* tags
of these business routes, as well as their relations, to reflect this (e.g.
ref="US 377A Business" in the example).

Along came an armchair retagger from outside of Texas.

First he claimed that they're not part of the official route number, which
is not true according to TxDOT's highway designation files, which are
freely available and easily accessible online.

But my main problem came when he started removing them without notice
whenever he made an edit to any of these ways.

He also made a point that I 35E Business which goes through the town of
Pearsall, Texas is not a business route of the I 35E that goes through
Dallas. That made sense to me, so I'm going through and retagging all the
business routes with hyphenation (e.g. ref="US 377-A Business"). But he
seemed to still have a problem with the business letters existing in the
data.

What sayest thou, community? I'm honestly tired of edit wars and pointless
bickering, and would rather just get this question out of the way.

--
Clay