I have been pondering the use of the admin_level key in the USA, and have come to the realization that while values 2, 4, 6 and 8 are correct for national, state, county and city boundaries (respectively), it is more complicated than that. It is likely time to end the pretending this oversimplification is sufficient. It is not.

A useful tool is http://www.itoworld.com/map/2#fullscreen which shows admin_level boundaries from 2 to 11 (11 for Germany and Netherlands only) in different colors. Yes, it is true in the USA that for those boundaries which are tagged correctly (all 50 states, many or even most counties, some cities) we do see good boundaries and colors.

However, there are boundary polygons in OSM which are an odd duck in the USA: a notable one is Census Designated Places (CDPs), which came from the TIGER import. These are a bit like cities in that they are often a similar size and population of a town or rather small city. But they are not strictly cities, in that they are derived from the federal government (not "negotiated" with a state government like a city which is or has incorporated) crafting them for statistical purposes. CDPs have no legal basis as incorporated cities do. In fact, many of the residents of these areas may not even be aware of the boundaries of their own CDP. However, CDPs are useful, as they often give name and shape to a place or area which otherwise might not have one, and frequently the CDP yields the only boundaries for doing so.

In other words, CDPs (and others, see below) really are administrative divisions in the USA, we just don't often think of them that way, and so we don't (often) classify them into a hierarchy. I do believe it is proper and useful to do so, but of course we should strive to get to as correct as a consensus/result as we can.

I have edited http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/United_States_admin_level to reflect the reality of this more complicated picture in the USA, some states which don't cleanly follow the 2/4/6/8 model, and at least some of these "more federal" entities. (There are also LAFCos in California, as well as COGs in many states, which are state-defined, in addition to MPOs, which straddle a local/federal level, and PSAs, CSAs, MSAs, and µSAs, defined by the executive branch of the federal government).

As a starting point, we can keep this discussion simple and decide whether a CDP might rightly be assigned an admin_level of 5, as it is both a federal and quasi-local entity which correctly "lands in the middle" (below state but above county), or whether it might actually be lower than a city (but implying subordinate to? -- doesn't seem correct...) with an admin_level of 9.

SteveA
California