On Mon, Jan 7, 2013 at 11:08 PM, Toby Murray <toby.mur...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I think it would be great to make more tools support more external
> data sets as opposed to dumping *everything* into OSM. You want county
> borders on your garmin? Check a box while creating the file and mkgmap
> downloads the most recent county borders from some source that isn't
> OSM and includes them. Now, building this functionality into every
> tool that uses OSM data may not be practical. But I can definitely see
> a place for a parallel project that hosts all such boundary data
> (maybe even parcel data) from official sources in a common format and
> can be easily mixed with OSM data before being fed to existing tools.
> I think this was the idea behind CommonMap although I see this
> particular implementation hasn't fared particularly well as the domain
> seems to have expired... But the idea may warrant another look.

Yes this is the way to go forward. We absolutely need multiple layers like
in classic GIS. OSm is not the place for this. OSM was and is the opposite
of a classic GIS.
One area where I could provide support is Garmin maps. long time ago  I
have written a automated generation of contour lines. Same could be done
for other sources like land ownership, NHD  and many more. For example
http://toposm.com/ uses NHD direct instead of any water from osm
 I don't have enough resources to host data for whole US and my time is
currently very limited. If anyone wants to work on such a project and can
host large data sets then I can offer to help setting up certain layers.