We already did/do that :

1.  Sunnyvale and SF Edit-a-thons used a Google Hangout so that I could
give a remote bootstrap to SF as they did not have a local leader.  Seemed
to work
2.  BiWeekly Mappy Hours are held, also via Hangout and are well attended
and also seem to work

Google hangout is challenged wrt to scalability; it'd be good to have more
video participants.

Local F2F is surely better; but remotes can be effective to spinup
remote/detached folks who then act as seeds/centers around which locals can
form.  Let's stay open to all the possibilities.  A little encouragement
and interaction seems to go a long way, even if beers are NOT involved ;-)

John Novak
585-OLD-TOPOS (585-653-8676)
http://www.linkedin.com/in/johnanovak/
OSM ID:oldtopos